Sunday, February 22, 2015

Things are getting more and more settled for me with each passing day. I had my Vertical Sleeve surgery on Feb 4th. Wow, it is hard to believe that I am coming up on three weeks soon.


I have gotten into a good routine of having my protein shake in the morning (cashew milk and chocolate egg white protein: 150 cals and 24g protein) and having soft foods for the rest of the day, such as egg beaters, fake lobster (white fish), and Yoplait whipped greek yogurt. I also puree chicken and tuna and have had some sweet potato pureed to add some fiber.

I am glad that I tried a lot of protein drinks before my surgery, so that I could find one that I can manage to stand the taste of, and which does not set off my daily sensitivity. Strangely enough, the yogurt is not bothering me, but I am having that in small quantities.


Yoplait has two different kinds of whipped yogurt. One is greek, with 9 grams of protein and 100 calories and one is regular yoplait whipped and has 5 grams of protein and 140 calories. Be careful when choosing. The higher cal/carb variety has more flavors, but I am opting for the higher protein greek type. This yogurt is not very filling and I believe it is a "slider food" so be careful.


I am down a solid 20 pounds since surgery, which is incredible for me, since I suffered through that six month insurance diet and only lost 17 pounds and it was a STRUGGLE the whole time. This has been so painless.

Some things that are harder are:

  1. Waiting to drink until at least a half hour after eating.
  2. Remembering to take water with me when I leave the house.
  3. Learning what my "full" feeling is, without going past it.
  4. Feeding my family and not eating what they are eating.
I have been cooking like a fiend, partially to get foods out of the house that tempt me and partially to keep the family happy. I had not cooked at all during my six month diet, except for little meals when I felt that I had to get something on the table. I just let my kids and husband fend for themselves.

Now that I am not as hungry or craving, I can cook again, but still, there are times when I see trigger foods and want them, but it is all head hunger and I am able to walk away from it.

I do not have an exercise routine yet, although I walked outside yesterday. It is cold and icy and I am afraid of falling. I am hoping to be able to get back into the pool soon, but as soon as I reactivate my pool membership, the end of my membership starts looming. I have about thirty days before I have to pay to renew it. I may do it as a single membership, which is $150 as opposed to $250 for the family.



No comments:

Post a Comment